Saturday, February 4, 2012

Mixed Martial Arts Update

I continued the MMA lessons right up until the winter break after which i had to pause to study from mock exams. I trained with them 6 hours a week spread over three days missing only a few practices showing perseverance and commitment to the activity. The training sessions at times were mentally challenging more than any sport i've taken part in before. It increase my awareness of my own strengths and areas for growth".

I learned about the incredible amount of respect for competitors in mma. I learned i have pretty stable center of gravity, and a knack for wrestling, and i learned how far i still have to go. I was one of the best competitors in the beginer skill group but the gap between my own knowledge, discipline, and skills and those of some of the people who have trained for years was immense. This is one area where in every aspect there is room for growth and still will be if i continue with the activity for the next ten years. The volume of techniques is enormous.

However i did develop new skills and learned a lot from the lessons. We covered all the basics of grappling, striking, and submissions. Every lesson would begin with a lesson on new strategies and techniques followed by sparring matches which were enormously fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment